Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Thomas & Friends Costumes

I actually wanted the boys to be dinosaurs for Halloween this year but the boys aren't interested in dinosaurs yet, I don't even think they know what they are yet. So I looked to see if there any Thomas the train costumes. There were & there were actually 3 different trains but I wasn't crazy about the look of them. Also since the boys weren't crazy about wearing costumes last year I wasn't crazy about spending $100 on them. So I decided that I would attempt to make their costumes & since several of our friends & family have asked how I made them, I've decided to post a tutorial of sorts.

I didn't plan on writing a tutorial so I don't have many pictures of the costumes in process but its pretty straight forward & I think easily understood without photos of every step.
 
This is the photo I used as inspiration for the faces

Supplies needed:
  • 3 boxes - I used diaper boxes just slightly wider than he boys but not so wide that they couldn't put their arms down. 
  • Felt - I bought 1/3 yard of red, blue & green & 1/4 yard of black
  • Glue - lots & lots of glue! Hot glue (& gun), mod podge, fabric glue & optional spray adhesive.
  • Paper and/or printer
  • 3 paper plates
  • Black, white & peach or flesh colored paint - I used acrylic
  • Paint brush
  • Pencil
Instructions:
  1. Fold all flaps of the cardboard boxes in, this just made the box more sturdy. I hot glued some of my flaps down, some stayed put on their own so I didn't bother with them.
  2. Spread mod podge or spray adhesive on the box. I used mod podge to attach the felt, so I spread it on one side at a time & wrapped the felt around the box as I went. If you use spray adhesive I think you'd have to spray the while thing at once.
  3. Attach your felt. I wrapped one continuous piece all the way around.
  4. Fold the edge of the felt into the box & hot glue down.
  5. Cut the pieces you need for the stripes of each train (*note - I started with making Thomas first, then Percy, then James. This was so that I could cut the stripes from the red felt before using the remainder of the red to make James) I'm not very precise or patient so I just cut a piece, sized it up against the box & then cut duplicates for each side of the train. I don't measure but I did mark the felt with chalk to cut a straight-ish line :)
  6. Use fabric glue to adhere the stripes to the trains.
  7. For the numbers I just printed them out from for the computer. The numbers were all yellow but that & Percy's were outlined in red & James' was outlined in black. Try to print them on card stock so they stay rigid when you apply the mod podge. I coated tha back of the numbers first & applied them o the trains. I them coated the top of the numbers with mod podge.
  8. Now for the hard part... Sketch the faces of each character onto the back of a paper plate. When you are happy with your sketch use a black marker to outline the face. I painted the trim of the plate black first & then painted the face & lastly the white areas of the eyes & mouth. I think I would recommend doing all that in reverse. After I painted everything & it dried I went around the black outline again touching up any areas that may have gotten paint on them.
  9. Hot glue the face/plate onto the front of the box.
  10. Last thing to do is cut out & attach shoulder straps so the trains can be worn :) Again I don't measure, I needed 6 straps so I just divided the felt into even pieces (by folding) & cut it into strips. I hot glued the straps right in the center of the inside of the front & back of the boxes. I did a trial fitting at this point to see if the straps were long enough or too long & then took up the straps to the right length for each of my boys.
The finished product
 
In action :)

Feel free to let me know if I missed any details or if you have any questions.

I was nervous about making these at first but I loved the process. I kind of felt like I was back in college working late at night to finish a project. I am very pleased with how they turned out & of all the lovely compliments I received on them, the best compliment was when the boys saw them for the first time & called them each by name :)

4 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I'm very impressed with your creative skills ;) I was about to post pictures of the girls in their Halloween costumes, but this puts me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment but don't say that about yours :( I cant wait to see what T & Q were!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you made these! You did such an awesome job. I love all the detail and the little train faces.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...